- 1 Top 11 Ways To Save Gas While Driving
- 1.1 1. Driving slower is a fantastic way to save gas
- 1.2 2. Another driving technique to save fuel is to avoid rapid acceleration and braking, don’t drive aggressively.
- 1.3 3. Keeping your tires inflated is another driving technique to save fuel
- 1.4 4. Maintain your engine is a favorite way to save gas while driving among the savviest car lovers
- 1.5 5. Work to avoid idling is an exceptional fuel-saving tip for both the manual shifting and automatic transmission systems
- 1.6 6. Anticipation as a driving technique is another top best way to save money on gas
- 1.7 7. Eliminate wind resistance
- 1.8 8. Avoid gas stations near the highway
- 1.9 9. Warm up your car for shorter lengths of time
- 1.10 10. Buy gas early or late in the day
- 1.11 11. Some other best ways to save gas while driving worth mentioning are as follows –
Top 11 Ways To Save Gas While Driving
It is NOT HOPELESS, there are ways to save gas while driving. Indeed, there are many ways you can save gas while driving that are quite simple to implement.
High fuel prices, environmental concerns, and the fact that a lot of us have to drive for long periods of time could make it beneficial for us to learn how to save gas. While you can’t always control the price at the pump or how far you have to go, you can do something about your driving style with these essential ways to save gas while driving.
If you know how to save gas while driving, you can put more money in your pocket and reduce air pollution. You’ll also be less stressed when you get behind the wheel because you’ll have better control over your vehicle. These gas-saving tips are free and easy to implement.
1. Driving slower is a fantastic way to save gas
The faster you drive, the more gas you burn. That’s because aerodynamic drag increases with speed, so your engine has to work harder and use more fuel as your speed increases.
Planning ahead is crucial when it comes to driving slower and saving fuel. By giving yourself plenty of time to get where you need to be, there will be less temptation to accelerate hard off the line or weave in and out of traffic.
Studies show that driving at 55 mph instead of 65 mph on the highway will improve your fuel economy by up to 20 percent. This is because your engine uses a lot more energy at higher speeds than lower and will add to your fuel-saving adventures while driving
2. Another driving technique to save fuel is to avoid rapid acceleration and braking, don’t drive aggressively.
Don’t break or don’t drive aggressively, this will also use up your fuel faster.
Aggressive driving, such as speeding or rapid acceleration and deceleration, wastes gas since it requires more stops and starts and greater momentum to get back up to speed again. Don’t drive aggressively and you will save fuel as mentioned before. Maintaining a smooth driving posture, avoiding harsh braking or sudden acceleration can result in a 10% reduction in fuel efficiency, increasing your fuel consumption by 10%. This tip is by far one of the hardest to remember ways to save gas while driving because if involves tweaking or completely altering how you’ve trained yourself to drive to date.
3. Keeping your tires inflated is another driving technique to save fuel
One often-overlooked way to save fuel is to keep your tires inflated properly. Under-inflated tires create more resistance and drag, which causes your car’s engine to work harder, consuming more gas. If you desire to know one of the drop-dead easiest ways to save gas while driving, do your wallet a favor and ensure that your tires are properly inflated at all times. If they are underinflated, then your car will not move as efficiently, which means that it will use more gas. Check your tire pressure every few weeks and ensure that they match the pressure recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle (which should be printed on a sticker inside your door).
4. Maintain your engine is a favorite way to save gas while driving among the savviest car lovers
Keeping your car’s engine well-tuned helps it run smoothly and efficiently. It also helps reduce the number of dangerous emissions given off into the atmosphere. If you notice any strange noises or smells coming from your vehicle, take it in for repairs right away. This can help prevent further damage and costly repairs down the road, not to mention a top-choice on ways to save gas while driving.
5. Work to avoid idling is an exceptional fuel-saving tip for both the manual shifting and automatic transmission systems
When you are stopped in heavy traffic, turn your engine off rather than idling for long periods of time. This saves gas and reduces emissions as well. There are a few more ways to save gas while driving.
It is a good idea to turn the engine off if you are going to be stopped for more than one minute. It is actually more economical to re-start the engine than it is to leave it idling. The exception is when you are stopped in traffic and would have to shut down and re-start the engine every few minutes. This will use more fuel than if you just left it running. If your vehicle has a push-button start, you can save even more fuel by turning it off.
Make sure that there is no unnecessary load on the engine when starting up (such as the air conditioning or the headlights). This will make your vehicle less efficient and waste gas.
Below is a final but easy tip that you can use to lower your fuel costs and will help you save fuel and reduce emissions.
So, if you are at a stoplight, don’t accelerate too quickly. When the light turns green, ease into it for a couple of seconds before applying full pressure on the accelerator. This will help reduce unnecessary wear and tear on your engine and improve your fuel economy by as much as 20%.
6. Anticipation as a driving technique is another top best way to save money on gas
Anticipating traffic conditions makes it easier to be in the correct gear at the correct time and reduces the over-revving of your engine. Also, anticipating helps reduce unnecessary acceleration and deceleration. When you are searching for another 100% doable ways to save gas while driving, you would do well by adding this routine to your daily. These and other fuel-saving tips automatic transmission will definitely help and go a long way to save you some nice coin.
7. Eliminate wind resistance
A car can be made more aerodynamic (less wind resistance) by lowering its ride height. The vehicle’s weight should sit as close to the ground as possible. Aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the vehicle’s speed, so even a small reduction in wind resistance will make a big difference at highway speeds. This can be done by lowering the car’s suspension or using low-profile tires. Do this and you’ll be utilizing one of the lesser-known ways to save gas while driving secret among car owners.
8. Avoid gas stations near the highway
Is there a place where you can fill up that isn’t right next to the highway? If there is, you might want to consider going there every once in a while instead of filling up at the place near the highway. The reason for this is that these places usually have higher prices because they know that people who need gas usually don’t have time to shop around and find a better price. This is why we adding this insight as one of the superb ways to save gas while driving. If you go out of your way to fill up somewhere else, you can save money on your fuel costs while not losing that much time in the process. Of course, when you’re in a hurry to get somewhere it may not be possible to avoid.
9. Warm up your car for shorter lengths of time
This is one of the most contested ways to save gas while driving topics. Some people say you should warm up your car for at least five minutes before driving off. Others also say you don’t need more than 30 seconds, even in winter.
The truth probably lies somewhere in between. But think about it, if you let your car idle for five minutes every morning, that adds up to more than an hour a week – and nearly 50 hours per year! That’s more than two full days! If you’re looking for one of the top ways to save gas while driving, those are two days you could be using to wash cars on the side or pick up extra shifts at work.
We all understand that in the winter we need to let our cars warm up before driving them. This allows the engine to generate heat and defrost windows. Most of us, however, continue running our cars for longer than necessary. The most efficient way to warm up your vehicle is to drive it plus it will be one of the most prime ways to save gas while driving. When the engine idles, you are wasting gas and money.
10. Buy gas early or late in the day
Gasoline is stored underground in huge tanks. However, during the day, these tanks get hot from sunlight exposure. This heat causes the gas to expand and become less dense, so when you pump it into your car you get less energy (fewer miles per gallon) than you would at cooler temperatures. Early in the morning or later in the evening, when it’s cooler, you get more buying power with your dollars.
You’ll notice that at night, gas stations usually have very few cars around. The reason the gas stations are open is that they are making up for lost volume during the day by pumping more gas into their underground storage tanks. These tanks cool off overnight, causing them to contract and create more room for additional fuel. This is why you should buy gas at night and add it prominently to your driving techniques to save fuel “to-do” list.
Based on our customer varied feedback, here are some summarized actions regarding good ways to purchase gasoline:
- Purchase fuel early in the morning, or late in the evening.
- Purchase fuel from a filling station that is in your neighborhood or along your route.
- Purchase fuel from a fueling station that is near a highway area, or has heavy use traffic area
All these handy insights help avoid the “thermal expansion” issue along with being one of the top ways to save gas while driving that you can 100% control. Thermal expansion refers to the mere fact that gasoline expands when hot, and contracts when cold.
11. Some other best ways to save gas while driving worth mentioning are as follows –
- Drive infrequently or less often as you can
> plan your routes in advance
- Do not hold out until your tank is empty to re-fill your tank
> This will help you avoid being cornered into purchasing gas at whatever price point you find close to you.
- Switch out your air, oil, fuel, water, and interior intake filters often based on your car’s recommendations
> Debris-free and new filters aid in maintaining your vehicle’s highest fuel economy.
- Utilize the best and preferred motor oil as per your vehicle manufacturer’s instructions
> Inserting the incorrect motor oil can waste fuel and overwork the engine.
- Cut off the air conditioner system
> One of your car’s gas-eating systems is the conditioner – so use it sparingly.
- Purchase, trade for a manual shifting (i.e. – a stick shift)
> It is just a fact but automatic transmissions burn up more gasoline than a manual transmission.
- Use some of the car’s new technology to help you with your speed management
> The vehicle’s cruise control technology can aid you mightily, so when possible turn it on to help you save on gas.
- Plan ahead, organize and sort out your ideal route
> A route with the least amount of stoplights and stop signs is the most fuel-efficient route to select.
- Purchase your fuel fill-ups around state borders
> Each state has its own taxes and rates for gas purchases, you could earn some handsome savings by grabbing your gas in a neighboring state.
- Think about purchasing a fuel-efficient automobile (either one that aids in fuel-saving tips automatic transmission & manual stick shifts)
>There are a lot of options on the market now for vehicles that achieve over 40 miles per gallon.
- Use the internet to find the best gas rates near you or just download a gasoline finder app
>Accessing the internet or an app can essentially aid all your efforts to save at the gas station (information is power – see these options) you can save as much as $.20 a gallon.
The above list is by no means a complete list of ways to save gas while driving but we thank you for reading and putting some of these techniques into place.
If you need assistance with any of the auto repair services mentioned above or require more information, stop by or reach out to us at (678) 698-0604.
Are you interested in more vehicle cost-saving measures? Or you can also review other valuable car maintenance services and exclusives by clicking here.